Thursday 23 February 2012

Work-In Plan

Why hello everyone!

I recently got a request from a reader to post my workout plan!

Now what I want people to keep in mind is that I am trying to lose weight but in a healthy way. This means I am not trying to gain muscle mass, but work on burning fat. As a result I am not doing any weight lifting or muscle building.

So I say work-in, not workout. Why is that Greg?

The reason is because I hate the term workout. Over time, I have grown to hate the idea of workouts. I have taken the out to mean taking time out of the things I enjoy. This has been one of the primary reasons I have chosen to not workout in the past.

The difference between a work-out and a work-in is that a workout is an arduous task that takes a bunch of time from your day, and isn't fun or exciting. A work-in on the other hand, is something you look forward to, something that is enjoyable. The key is finding a task that is actually enjoyable for you!

This summer I was more fit than I have been in a long time. I was sprinting, doing chin ups, but the most important thing I was doing was boxing.

All I had was a punching bag in my backyard, but as I'm sure you can imagine, I'm pretty big (that's the 6"4' coming into play). My punch is powerful. My 100 pound bag was just enough of a challenge for me to hit it and move it, but only by exerting myself.

It was fun! It was something I decided to do, by myself, I went out and bought the punching bag, the gloves, the wraps, educated myself on technique, etc. Over time, the fun slowly went out of it - but because I started thinking of it as a workout.

The important thing to take away from this is that working out in is something that you have to enjoy - for now, in the winter, that means biking for me on an indoor bike.

Now, my work-in plan!

Monday - 45 minutes on the exercise bike, as many chin ups as I can pull off (close to 2 -_-), and core exercises, looking at planks, sit ups, etc. Basic toning.

Tuesday - 45 minutes on the bike, more if I have the time.

Wednesday - Starting to get busier! 30 minutes high intensity - hardest difficulty almost the entire time. Toning and core as per the other days, if time allows

Thursday - I don't have time to workout. I have class all day :(

Friday - Same thing. Also, this conveniently gives me two days of rest during my week!

Saturday - When I can, I try and switch things up here. Do more toning, core, and a little bit of lifting (the ladies have to see my arms, y'know?) with my weights for my arms. This also works core, so is a dual purpose exercise.

Sunday - Technically the day of the lord's rest (Used to be a catholic - old habits die hard!) But as long as I remember and aren't too tired, I do another 30 minutes to an hour, depending on available time on the exercise bike.

Hope this answers some questions! Get back to me in the comments section and let me know if it doesn't.

tl;dr - I'm focusing on cardio, and I walk anywhere I can.

Random link - I have friend whose brother runs an LSAT prep school. He's marketed as one of the best out there, and with highly competitive pricing! Check it out if you're interested in the LSAT - I am! LSAT Prep

The Work-in Plan - Copyright Greg von Euw, 2012

Giant Greg Out


No comments:

Post a Comment